You are here
Home > Articles > Officially Renouncing Islam in Singapore | FAQs

Officially Renouncing Islam in Singapore | FAQs


1. How can you renounce Islam officially?

 Two ways : Long version and Short Version

Long version : call MUIS to make appointment. They will try to counsel you first. Some cases never at all. State your reason why you want to renounce. Then they will say “you will not get any help from MUIS. Cannot be buried at muslim cemetery”. If you still adamant, then they will give you a notice where you have to go to civil court to have your name changed. Then you come back to MUIS, fill up a form and they will officially remove your name from their registry. MUIS will give you a letter certifying that you’ve cease to be a muslim. (If they want to counsel you insist that they process the forms immediately. They don’t have a right to lengthen the process)

Shorter version : change your name. Get a deed poll. Then submit to them and officially request to get your name removed.


2. What happens to my money/property after I die? Let’s say I haven’t denounce Islam officially.You can read up all about Faraid (Muslim Inheritance Law) here:


The Law Society of Singapore > for Public > You & the Law > Faraid or Muslim Inheritance Law

Under Administration of Muslim Law Act; Islamic law (Syariah) prevails over civil law in matters of marriage, divorce, guardianship and inheritance of Muslims in Singapore.

So if you don’t want MUIS to have a share in your inheritance, remove your name if you still having your muslim name or change your name to a non-muslim name.You need to be aware that if you’re a man and do not have any male child, MUIS can take certain percentage of your property under Faraid Law.

Another helpful link:


3. If I dont want to pay Zakat, any penalty?Comment: Better redirect our contribution to charity which is more secular. If you want to do good,do good for all, why must subject to any particular religious group?

Additional comment: I haven’t been paying Zakat for years now and apparently it’s anonymous. Last year, my sister told me that she paid for mine through this “zakat” hot line. It was charged by per call. I doubt there’s any penalty should we not pay it.


4. What happens when your non-muslim husband/ wife converts to Islam? Do you have to re-register at ROMM?If you are a muslim who has yet to renounce Islam officially and registered your marriage at ROM, then Yes, you will need to register at ROMM as your first registration in ROM will automatically be voided the moment your partner converts to Islam.


5. What is apostasy and is it illegal?a. Apostasy or irtidad/riddah (in Arabic) comes from the root word radd, which means “to retreat, to retire, to withdraw from or to fall back from”. Within the context of Muslim jurisprudence (fiqh), the word implies the abandonment or renunciation of Islam.

b. Assuming “illegal” here is talking about the civil law (as opposed to shariah) – then no, its not illegal. Freedom of belief (or disbelief, in this case)or all is guaranteed via Singapore’s State Constitution Article 15.


6. How to opt out of MBMF (Mosque Bulding and Mendaki Fund)?

You can opt out from this scheme byFilling up this form:…/MBMF%20Change%20Form_v2011.1.pdf

Detailed information here:


7. Do I have to change my name after I renounce Islam?There’re no legal implications if you don’t want to change your name. You might even save yourself the hassle of paperwork.

Some of the things you have to update after changing your name: IC, bank details, HDB, insurance. Education certs & birth cert need not to. More info here:

People do change their names to non-arab sounding ones to avoid being mistakenly identified as muslim. That is just personal preference.


8. What about burial if I pass on?

If you have expressed how you wish your body to be disposed of, your immediate family can decide on your behalf. If you are married, your immediate family will be your spouse and children. Otherwise, it will be your blood-kin (parents and siblings). As such, prepare your will and testament if you do not wish to be buried as a Muslim.


The procedure of reporting your death will be as follow:


(1) Your iimmediate family will have to report your death. You need death certificate. If you pass on in hospital, the doctor will issue it to ur immediate family. If you were at home, either the family doctor or the doctor at the Accident & Emergency ward will certify your death.

(2) With the death certificate, your immediate family will go to the police to file a report. Police will look at the cause of death. If chronic illness, they will not question. Police will give the approval to dispose of the body. If it’s sudden death or questionable death, it then becomes a police case.The coroner will certify the cause of death. Only after this, you will get approval to dispose the body.

(3) if you are a Muslim, they will want proof that you are of the faith (your name is a good enough indication here). Otherwise they will not allow your body to be buried at the Muslim cemetery. With crematoriums, they never check your religion. It’s the immediate family who decide how your body should be disposed.


More in-depth information here:



Note: This post was moved from the photo album to Notes. Please refer to this URL for future referencing

  • Pingback: URL()

  • Salt

    Hi I have a question. My husband (a Muslim) and I (non-Muslim) married under the civil law in SG. Does the Muslim Faraid law apply to us as well? Or ……….? We have a daughter too.

    • Thi Ha

      Same situation here but the other way round. What if we convert to SG citizen.