You are here
Home > About > FAQ

1. How can you renounce Islam officially? Via Majlis Ugama Islam Singapura (MUIS).

a) Go to the Supreme Court (exit B – City hall mrt, next to Funan IT mall). Get your statutory declaration from the Commissioner of Oaths office on Level 3. This will cost you $25. They will ask what you are declaring; just state you are renouncing Islam. You will then be directed to take your Oath in one of the several small rooms on the floor. The oath taking will be witnessed only by the court officer.

b) Go to Muis. There is no need to set an appointment. Tell them you need to submit your statutory declaration, renouncing your faith. They will ask you to fill up a simple form stating your particulars and that you are renouncing. You will then wait for about 15 mins for them to give you an acknowledgement letter. No letters will be sent to your postal address, your privacy is assured.

In summary, the process is pretty straightforward and stress free, without any personal and pressing questions asked.

2. Do I have to change my name after I renounce Islam?

There’re no legal implications if you don’t want to change your name. You might even save yourself the hassle of paperwork.

Some of the things you have to update after changing your name: IC, bank details, HDB, insurance. Education certs & birth cert are not applicable.

More info here:


3. What happens to my money/property after I am deceased? Let’s say I haven’t renounced Islam officially.

Under Administration of Muslim Law Act; Islamic law (Syariah) prevails over civil law in matters of marriage, divorce, guardianship and inheritance of Muslims in Singapore.

The Muslim Inheritance Law is called Faraid. You may read up more about it here:

(The Law Society of Singapore > for Public > You & the Law > Faraid or Muslim Inheritance Law)

So if you don’t want MUIS to have a share in your inheritance, draw up a will with a lawyer. The lawyer will execute it once you pass on. Remember to assign a confidant to inform the lawyer of your death.

You need to be aware that if you’re a man and do not have any male child, MUIS can take certain percentage of your property under Faraid Law.

Another helpful link:

4. What should I do if I wish to have control over my will:

Change your name or formally renounce as stated in question 3. Another helpful link:

5. If I dont want to pay Zakat (as I have a charity of my own choice, for example), any legal penalty?

No, none at all.


6. My partner is non-muslim, and I have yet to renounce or change my name, do we have to get married under ROMM (Registry of Muslim Marriages)? Does my partner have to convert to Islam?

No, and no. Simply head to the ROM (Registry of Marriages) instead.

The ROM officer will remind you that this is a civil marriage and a non-Muslim one when you go down to ROM to verify Documents and for Statutory Declaration.


7. What happens when your non-muslim husband/ wife converts to Islam? Do you have to re-register at ROMM?

If you are a muslim who has yet to renounce Islam officially and registered your marriage at ROM, then Yes, you will need to register at ROMM as your first registration in ROM will automatically be voided the moment your partner converts to Islam.


8. What is apostasy and is it illegal?

Apostasy or irtidad/riddah (in Arabic) comes from the root word radd, which means “to retreat, to retire, to withdraw from or to fall back from”. Within the context of Muslim jurisprudence (fiqh), the word implies the abandonment or renunciation of Islam .b.) Assuming “illegal” here is talking about the civil law (as opposed to Syariah) – then no, it’s not illegal. Freedom of belief (or disbelief, in this case) for all is guaranteed via Singapore’s State Constitution Article 15.


9. How to opt out of MBMF (Mosque Bulding and Mendaki Fund)?

All working Muslim Singapore Citizens, Singapore Permanent Residents and foreigners are required to contribute to the MBMF, this ranges from $2.00 to $16.00 (depending on your income). It is automatically deducted.

If you wish to opt out of MBMF (as some of our members do as they do not wish to show support to a religious cause and instead contribute to secular charities instead): Print out the Mosque Building and Management Fund form C on the following website:

Under the “New contribution to mosque building fund component” write $0.

For “reason for change” write: eg “I do not support mosques being used as platform for anti-LGBT programmes”

(Otherwise, you can simply state “I wish to contribute to other charities” if you think that’s going to cause issues for you at work).

Submit the form to your Human Resource officer to be faxed to MUIS.

You will receive a notification from MUIS as to your successful withdrawal. Otherwise, check with MUIS in a written email to follow up on your request. The approval should take no longer than a month.

10. What about burial if I pass on?

If you have not expressed how you wish your body to be disposed of, your immediate family will decide on your behalf. If you are married, your immediate family is your spouse and children. Otherwise, it will be your blood-kin (parents and siblings). As such, prepare your will and testament if you do not wish to be buried as a Muslim.

The procedure of reporting your death will be as follow:

(1) Your immediate family will have to report your death. You need death certificate. If you pass on in hospital, the doctor will issue it to your immediate family. If you were at home, either the family doctor or the doctor at the Accident & Emergency ward will certify your death.

(2) With the death certificate, your immediate family will go to the police to file a report. Police will look at the cause of death. If chronic illness, they will not question. Police will give the approval to dispose of the body. If it’s sudden death or questionable death, it then becomes a police case. The coroner will certify the cause of death. Only after this, you will get approval to dispose the body.

(3) If you are a Muslim, they will want proof that you are of the faith (your name is a good enough indication here). Otherwise they will not allow your body to be buried at the Muslim cemetery. With crematoriums, they never check your religion. It’s the immediate family who decide how your body should be disposed. More in-depth information here:…/healthcare/death-dying/

11. My Spouse and I have decided to renounce Islam together and we have a child/children. How do we go about getting the child off the Muslim Registry?

Refer to Question 1. For minor, either parents would have to put up a separate Statutory Declaration.

  • Jeet Ranger

    Hi guys, how do i renounce islam if i am still married to ma wife? I convert to islam a year ago.